ZINE RESEARCH

ZINE RESEARCH

-My way of thinking about zine-

First of all, as with anything, I felt that it was necessary to understand the unique characteristics of that object and its origins. So I researched the origin of zine and the meaning of zine. After all, I felt that the message to society and people was strong in me. As a creator, we must express our opinions with our works, propose them, and appeal to the world. Through this project, I would like to leave something like proof that I lived in this era. It’s an atmosphere, but I think it’s based on something like punk rock. However, I’ve been into the acid rave culture since I was 17 years old, so I’d like to add an atmosphere like an acid rave. Looking at the punk rock zine, the message is strong, and the message is simple, but visually it seems to be miscellaneous. The rave culture message is weaker than punk rock, but there are quite a lot of things that can only be felt there, and I think rave is more punk rock than punk rock. That’s why I want to put a message into it and shape it in my own way.

-riot grrrl-

It is the origin of zine to convey a message and contains punk rock elements to the fullest, so you can arrange the atmosphere as a modern form in your own way.

-JD’s zine-

Since it is a zine that represents queercore movement, it has a very strong color and does not fit my style very well, but when I look at the font, it looks very good and I thought it could be used if applied.

-calvin klein-

This was very helpful because one page contained various layout elements. It’s very difficult to put various elements on one screen and harmonize them, but I think this is working well.

-SUBJECTIVELY, OBJECTIVE-

This zine is very simple and does not serve as a reference for layout etc., but I feel that it is a very successful zine for conveying a message and giving meaning to a photo only with a photo. Above all, this zine I chose was a very conceptual and consistent concept, and it was a reference for ideas and how it should be as a zine.

-JHEYDA MCGARRELL-

I think this is a zine that beautifully expresses the combination of letters and photographs and is successful in many ways. Also, I felt something like a diary, so it became a reference for expressions that seemed to cut out a part of my daily life.

-do you believe in more? by FKA twings-

I felt that this was one of the most successful zines I’ve seen recently. I think that the story and message when viewed through all pages are by far the most successful. It’s not simple, but it’s very nice because it’s unified with consistent expressions.

-Violence by Lotta Andersen-

I feel that this is a zine that simply conveys a message with few words and various expressions. Also, as the person who made it says, words that go beyond letters come to mind. Very helpful.

-SLASH-

Perhaps this zine will be the main inspiration. It is useful in many ways, such as messages for society, fonts, coloring, and how to perceive human characteristics.

-cheap date-

I thought it was a very nice zine that looks very good in the atmosphere of 00s. The atmosphere like a comic is also very nice. Also, the title and content of the zine are linked very well, making it a very easy-to-read visual. The layout of fonts and words is very helpful.

-TYRONE LEBON’s zine-

This is mainly a reference for the rough layout of the photos, I think even the mood board gets used to one page of zine. So I think this is a successful example of that idea. I sometimes feel that each photo is weak, but there are many that have a very strong impression. However, it was also the moment when I realized that it would be like this if I laid them out roughly.

-Claire Barrow-

This is a zine designed by jamie reid and is a very own type. I think it’s a zine that blends the aesthetics of vintage textures with the aesthetics of modern atmosphere and fonts.

Thank you,

tatsuya.