FASHION ILLUSTRATION RESEARCH

FASHION ILLUSTRATION RESEARCH

Many illustrations have been included in the magazine so far. So I focused on 5 types of magazine covers that are used differently and researched them. After all, when creating an image with illustration as the main subject, other methods of making will change depending on the image obtained from the illustration, but when combining a photo and illustration, I felt that the main point was to expand the image of that photo. I feel that it leads to various styles.

-VOGUE 1933 JANUARY-

The vogue cover consisted entirely of illustrations until around 1930. Among them, I think that this cover is a cover that the combination of font and illustration works well and the image is very easy to convey.

-VOGUE 1954 APRIL-

This was very interesting because the pictures and illustrations were organized on the same screen, so I haven’t seen much. Here, it was the inspiration for each role and the variety of arrangements by colouring. And I think this was an image-making that was possible because it was in the 1950s.

-VOGUE ITALIA 2016 APRIL-

And this cover was probably the most inspirational of this time. This isn’t really used in vogue, but I think it’s a creation worth publishing. This person named ANA STRUMPF makes various works like this, but they are all composed in a consistent style. She feels that all the works are an extension of the image to the original cover page through her eyes.
I thought it was a very good idea to add illustrations to the magazines I want in this era.

-i-D 1985 issue 30-

I think it’s a great illustration for expressing subculture and as an inspiration for fonts. However, I felt that it was better to distinguish between publishing in magazine and publishing in the zine. If I design such a cover in this era, it feels like an 80s90s magazine or a zine, so I don’t think it’s a good idea for a magazine in the 2020s to create such an atmosphere. .. However, the colouring, font, and image are a great match, and I think it’s a perfect creation.

-VOGUE ITALIA 1989&2017-

I looked at the archive of vogue Italia and compared this creation because it was similar. They were published at completely different times, but I think both fonts and colours are moving excellently. Each has a different atmosphere, but it also shows that I can change the atmosphere with just a few changes in detail, and I can see that the times are advancing by comparing these.

Thank you,

Tatsuya.